Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger Conveys Sorrow, but I'm Not Buying Elusive Message

The truth is, the annoying speculations of Tiger Woods committing horrible transgressions haven’t vanished. It has been the most dreadful months for Woods, the faultless and admirable icon.


But ever since the accident on Thanksgiving night, you know, when he slammed into a fire hydrant and a neighbor's tree and was seen barefooted with lacerations to his lips after emerging from the damaged SUV, Tiger’s privacy and life has never been the same.

Sadly, I’m afraid it won’t ever be the same. Among some people, his credibility is ruined as some of his corporate sponsors bailed out, and lastly, some refused to accept an apology two months later.

Waiting months later to apologize and speak to the public of his heinous transgressions is very baffling and overwhelming. If someone is caught of wrongdoing and deceit, of course, the option is hiding from peers and irritable fans who believed he was a considerable role model, a caring father to his two children, a supportive husband, and a mentor running an educational center for children.

It’s absurd he had to wait so long before speaking to the public and showing remorse. It’s a shame he had affairs, when we wanted to believe Tiger was the cleanest athlete on the planet as well as the greatest.

As it turns out, the media and spectators were wrong, humbled to witness a wondrous athlete inherit green jackets at the Masters, and outlast good-friend and rival Rocco Mediate at the U.S. Open two years ago while suffering with an ailing knee to somehow pull off the improbable.

At least for now, those remarkable memories are in the back of our minds, erased and overshadowed by his impaired image. Woods is allowed to apologize for disappointing us and his fanbase. After all, he forced us to have critical remarks, regarding a troubled legacy and a mental sickness none of us once knew about.

So when he stared into a TV camera and revealed to millions, watching on television of his foolish mistakes that may have jeopardized an astounding career, yet again his explanation meant nothing.

Once again, he never provided enough specifics, leaving critics suspicious of a speech that was an absolute waste. He wasted his time, he wasted our time, and was better off just staying away, seeking mental help for his sexual addiction and secret love affairs.

For those purchasing his products, you should be laughing, ridiculing, and scolding Tiger of a nonsensical conference. Though, he was contrite repeatedly blaming himself in a message he delivered.

“I am deeply sorry for the irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in,” he said. “I was unfaithful. I had affairs. I cheated. What I did was unacceptable, and I am the only person to blame."

“I know I have bitterly disappointed all of you. You have made me question who I am and how I could have done the things that I did. I am embarrassed that I have put you in this position. For all I have done, I am so sorry. I have a lot to atone for.”

I couldn’t quite keep count as to how many times he said sorry.


Personally, no one should feel sorry for an athlete who continued to commit the same transgression, not once or twice, but repeatedly. Tired of all the weary debates, on whether he’ll return to the golf course some time this year, if he does, it will create an unnecessary media circus.

The PGA can’t afford such obnoxious nonsense, when it involves the greatest athlete in the sport responsible for the resurgence of an inferior game that most aren’t excited about if Tiger is absent.

His presence alone lures in more viewers and popularizes golf as if the game is the most-watched ever. But without him, the attendance dropped, viewers snatched their remotes and flipped the channel unconcerned about the ailing sport.

Today, however, all the attention turned immediately to Tiger, finally uncovering that his alleged affairs were truthful accusations. I dare say, it’s hard to believe whether he’s sincere or honest, when he stood at the podium and delivered a 13 ½ -minute statement to the public.

The problem is, the damn statement is late, even though he had good sense to convey the truth. But it’s funny that he needed two months, and it’s still not enough specifics on what really triggered the horrific crash near his gated community home. I wonder if he’s still holding secrets, on what really transpired on the night of the accident. I wonder if there was domestic violence involved, which may have provoked the wreck. Oh well, maybe it’s none of my business, right?

Even though he provided a statement, he still needs 18 holes to repossess popularity and lessen the pain still piercing the hearts of a loyal fan base that had tremendous respect before learning of his poor judgment. Observing his pain, remorse and sadness, he seems to have changed instantly. Unlike before, he appears unselfish by becoming a better individual as he tries fixing his marriage, finally vowing to maintain fidelity, and greater plans for educating children.

He repeatedly apologized to the world, repeatedly apologized to his wife, Elin, who didn’t attend the conference. He also emphasized the importance of being a better human being, as well as a family man that we all believed in. Feeling guilty of letting down his family, he said constantly that he was sorry for putting his family in a troubling crisis.


Hurt of the media adding fabrications to the friction, he made it clear that he never used HGH or that his accident never contributed to domestic disputes. Seems one of his corporate sponsors are willing to give him another chance, after dropping him of malicious and irresponsible behavior. Accenture, a sponsor of the PGA’s Match Play Championship this weekend, is en route of endorsing him once again.

What most wanted to hear was a specific return date, but he has no timetable and could return any time. If so, a more suitable date is this weekend. If he returns for the Masters, where he has won six of his 14 major titles, Augusta National will formulate an immense media circus and drill Tiger with questions on his personal life outside the golf course.

“I do plan to return to golf someday. I just don’t know when that will be,” he said. “I don’t rule out that it will be this year. When I do return, I need to make my behavior more respectful of the game.”

He’s aiming to revisit his childhood religion, Buddhism, then maybe he could pursue a stronger and positive life, before he surpasses Jack Nicklaus of 18 majors on record.

“People probably don’t realize it, but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years,” Tiger said. “Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously I lost track of what I was taught.”

Hopefully, Tiger's scandal vanishes, though he never unleashed enough specifics.

No comments:

Post a Comment